Monday, December 13, 2010

In this life, it can be the worst, and the best, the most bizzare, and the most average, all in a day. Different things come and go, different people come and go. The night of your life can be the eve of your death. Hope can be the King of your heart one moment, and bleeding out on the battlefield of your soul the next.
All of this brings psychotic emotions that make me feel like a tiny boat floating in a sea, being tossed around by roaring waves, and chuckling winds. It's like no one cares to see it that way, we all encourage the fantasy that we're just trotting along happy as a jolly little monkey, and as in control as can be. The more I see that in myself and in the people around me the more I realize that it's complete bull. None of us are in control and if we stopped the fantasy, we'd know it. Yet we put on a show and title ourselves "playwrite". We refuse to take part in things, because we didn't write them in. We refuse to sing because we can't. Can't? We don't sound right. Sound right? Since when has singing been about sounding right? Lord knows I "can't" sing (I'm about 3 steps up from tone-deafness), but I do, because, in light of those first two paragraphs up there, sometimes it's all I can do. Singing (particuarly when you don't sound "right") is like humanities way of saying, "I'm not in control, and I'm freaking out about everything, but I'm gonna sing. I'm going to sing like I have to, while knowing that I must." It's not complete passiveness (passivity?), but it's knowing that you're not in control, yet believing that it's all being taken care of.
Our song will never stand alone, because that which we believe with our hearts will forever stand by the music in our souls. We allow song to shape our lives, and joy to shape our hearts. Then when that joy begins to leak out of our hearts and into our lives, it's like we aren't on a boat in the middle of a terrific storm, holding on with all our strength, while still facing death anymore. Instead, we are floating across a restless body of water that is hurrying us along to the fearless life that waits on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment