Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I've always thought that it's important to know who your favorite character in a story is. I even got anal about it back in the day, and made myself choose a favorite character from every movie I watched and story I heard. haha. Now, though, I only have a favorite when someone particularly stands out to me. This time it's Mercy from Pilgrim's Progress.
When Christiana, her boys, and Mercy get to the Gate (the beginning of Part 2 in the book), Christiana and the boys go in while Mercy remains outside. She was not invited the way Christiana had been by her husband, Christian. Mercy was timid, and fearful. She believed in God, but was hesitant to knock on the gate for herself because she felt a little bit less welcome than Christiana. Eventually, though, she gathered her courage and knocked. In boldness she summoned the Interpreter and he answered, in spite of how different her way of coming was from Christiana's.
She was different, yet she felt in her heart that her boldness was good, and therefore she refused to be turned away from the path to the Celestial City. Kinda awesome, I'd say....

Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment