Monday, September 6, 2010

Here's (my side of) the story:

Yesterday (Sunday) evening I got home around 6:40 p.m.* Uncle Jim and Aunt Mary were over for dinner. I checked my phone at 8:15. I opened a message from Emily (sent at 6:49) that said "My non has fallen and is not breathing. This is serious! Please pray!" I thought she was talking about her grandma because of the "non" part. But then I saw a whole bunch of other messages from friends asking if it was really true. I knew it was Mrs. Sample at that point, but was in denial. It couldn't be. I then read a message from Emily that said "My mom died today. Please pray for my family". Still I denied it in my heart. I called Brianna. The moment we confirmed the truth we started crying and trying to wrap our minds around it. I cried harder than I have ever cried over someone's death.
I then went out and told my family. I was so choked up I could barely say the words: "Mrs. Sample died about an hour ago". We shared a family hug as we all cried. Uncle Jim and Aunt Mary left.
I went back to my phone and texted other friends to let them know.

I then faced the decision of whether or not to go to the hospital. I called Molly-another of Emily's best friends. She said to come if I felt like I should. I had heard about a lot of other people who were going and was afraid Emily felt crowded. I decided not to go.
At 8:40 I got a text from Emily that said: "Lydia, I need to talk to you." I literally ran out of my room and got in the car. That was the most touching thing anyone has ever said to me. There is no feeling like that of being wanted and needed. Dad drove me to Baptist Health. Emily was in the chapel with her dad, friends, and church family when I got there. I went in and sat on a back row. Molly gestured me towards the front. I went to where Emily was. She stood up and embraced me. I am never going to forget that moment. It was what our relationship is all about. I was there for her. She felt my love for her, and I felt like I couldn't give enough. I held her and told her I loved her.

A few minutes later we all moved out of that room. I got to hug many friends who I hadn't seen in some time. God was there.

Brianna, our dads, and I went to Kroger and got all of Emily's favorite snacks as well as food and drink for the friends and family on their way to the Sample home.
We rushed through that and I actually saw an old friend working at Kroger. Another hug.
When we got to the Sample's home, all of Emily's girl friends had her on the couch laughing. She hadn't forgotten; she'll never forget-but she was distracted for the moment. For a moment it was like all the parties we have had in her living room. After she had eaten and chilled for a while, I asked her and Brianna if we could go upstairs to pray, since Brianna's dad needed to leave. So we sat on Emily's bed, held hands, and prayed. At that point I was mostly out of tears, but we cried a little bit as we prayed for traveling mercies and everything else that needed to be prayed for. We then embraced once more and left.

Today (Monday), I called Brianna when I woke up. We both had pounding heads, and huge, red eyes. We didn't know what to do.

I felt led to visit Madison, (another of Emily's closest friends-she's known Mrs. Sample since at least second grade. She is also one of my closest friends.) so I did. I go to Madison's house often and find it a very comforting place. Her parents really care about my life, and help me with Chemistry, etc. I went there to be comforted, and to comfort Madison. I wanted to see someone who was feeling what I was feeling. I am very glad I went. Mrs. Gladden told me more great things about Mrs. Sample, including: "She was one of my best friends, and I don't even know who her best friend was. She poured herself into others."
I left Madison's late this afternoon with more confirmation in my heart than ever before. So I cried as I drove down the Boulevard. I stopped at Tropical Smoothie to see Brianna. We hugged and I left-I had to get home before 5p.m.

Here I am. I felt like typing this all up would give me even more confirmation. I'm searching for rest in my heart. I am almost there, but I know Emily isn't. It will take her much longer. It was her mother. So I am praying for her and Mrs. Sample's soul mate, Stephen, along with all the other family, and us: Emily's friends, as we watch her hurt. And as we each hurt as well.

There is a tattoo on my heart that says "Love Well-MHS", because Mary H Sample loved well, and I want to love like her.

Lydia




*I'm not completely sure about most of these times, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment