Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Jesus Vernacular

Sorry, Brianna, I know we agreed on no titles, but I couldn't resist. Just this once. I promise.
I love those three words together though...The Jesus Vernacular. They came to me last night around midnight and I've been tossing them around in my head since then.
I figure the phrase means something like the way Jesus spoke, or the words that should be first on the lips of all Christians: our "native language", in a way. If that is so, then we need to carefully evaluate everything that He has said. Maybe, in order to acquire a legitimate Jesus vernacular we should study the red letters: meditate on them, even. Replenish the gardens of our dry souls with their life-giving Message.
I think that it takes one special person to have his/her own vernacular. Their own language! Well, studying the words of Jesus show us just that: a unique language. I want to call it a language of love, but that's not inclusive enough. He didn't just love, He lived love. He showed mercy: He embodied strength of mind and spirit.
If you know any of Jesus' stories, you know that He didn't slander different racial groups, He didn't belittle the minorities, He respected everyone, even those who lacked respect at the time. He showed the world that an unfaithful woman is just as precious as the most faithful man. He opened the kingdom of God to the outsiders, the outcasts, the destitute. Even so, I shall open my heart to the lowly, to the miserable. Our souls were made to be lifted up to God as fragrant offerings. He has given us the perfect example of how to be just that. He has told us what to say! He has documented a special jargon, dialect, lingo, manner of speaking.
It's splendid, really!
May all of God's children will find the soul power to take advantage of this set-apart language, and the Helper who is always with us. Let's speak the words of love every day no matter where we are, no matter who we're with, no matter Who is watching.

Let us use the Jesus Vernacular.




Lydia



No comments:

Post a Comment