Thursday, April 8, 2010

On this day the LORD gave us sunshine. He gave us beautiful weather, the sun is out and the temperature is perfect. And He gave us access to shoes...or at least some of us.

Here in the United States, we as a people are richly blessed, very few of us go without food for even one meal a day because we have no money to buy food. Most of us have plenty; the fridge is full (or partially full) and the pantry is full. We, as Americans, have the things we need. We do not go without. I am thankful for that. But, people all across the world have significantly less than us. Some people have so little the only things they own are the clothes they are wearing. Many people have no shoes.

Today is "One Day Without Shoes." It is a day that is set aside for us, the people with much, to experience what the people with nothing go through daily. And it is so that we can maybe try to change this. "One Day Without Shoes" is simply what it says, one day walking around without shoes.

To be honest, I love being barefoot. It is a simple pleasure I enjoy. But, on the other hand, it is something I like to enjoy whenever I feel like...not when I am told. Today I have been barefoot, and I will be the rest of the day. I wasn't just at home, I've been out and about and have another place I'm going later. And I won't be wearing shoes. Walking around outside barefoot in the grass that is full of ants and rocks and poky things is not fun. I will admit that while I was out I complained. Sitting back right now, thinking about it all...I am realizing just how thankful I am for shoes. They keep my feet safe and warm. It also makes me realize just how terrible it is for children and adults all across the world to not have shoes for their feet. There isn't to too much I can do about it. Right now. But someday, maybe.

I strongly encourage you all to go one day without shoes. You can wait until next year or just do it out of your own desire to do it.

One day without shoes...it makes you think.


Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment