Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Colors of Faith (the end)

Wednesday 4:12 p.m.

Lowell gets home from school as quick as he can and races to the woods. He slows as he approaches the fence.

"Hey!" he calls happily. He leans against the fence but there is no reply to his call. "Hello?" He says louder. He looks around and, seeing no one, starts to panic. Disappointed thoughts bounce around his insides.

You should have known, Lowell. You should have known that she wasn't real. Just like before. You imagined again. Just like before!

These thoughts torment him and before too long he can't help but do what she told him to. The one thing she demanded of him in their long hours together:

"You aren't supposed to come over the fence. So please don't, okay?"

He jumped over in one fluid motion and ran straight into the woods. After several minutes of calling and searching, he finds her. She's leaning against a tree, dressed the same as the day before, but soaking wet. She starts violently when she hears him.

"Lowell?"

"Yeah, hey, what happened? Why are you wet?" He runs over to her and puts his hand on her shoulders. He feels her forehead. She feels feverish but doesn't show any other signs.

"You jumped over the fence." Her face is pale.

"Yes. I mean I had to find you," Lowell explains. She doesn't say anything, only grabs his arm and pulls him along. They reach the clearing that is split in two by the fence. She extends her arms in search of the wire. When she grasps it she pushes him in front of her.

"Go. Get over the fence again!" Her teeth chatter at the last word and he shakes his head.

"It's too late. Whatever is going to happen has happened, because I am over the fence." With that he pulls her to him, willing the warmth in his skin to transfer to her pale form. They sit down against a tree.

"You shouldn't have come today," she says finally.

"Nothing could have stopped me."

"Why is that?"

"Because I wanted to see you. I want to learn from you, you know. There is so much I can learn from you simply because you see everything so differently than me. And you...are beautiful." She looks at him incredulously.

"I'm beautiful?"

"Heck yeah." He smiles. She is quiet for a minute or two before declaring:

"This isn't my world?"

"Of course it is. You're here, aren't you?"

"I'm here but I don't understand it. I've been here but I haven't known. I haven't known that I am beautiful. I never knew that my hair is not dark. I never knew you. I have to go, Lowell. It's time for me to go back." She looks straight ahead and her words denote utter resolve.

"Well where will you be going?" Lowell manages to day.

"Back to where I came from. That is how I got wet, that is why my head is buzzing. I've been told that it's time for me to go. So go I must. A girl like me can't argue with something this big."

"You can't argue with what? What is it that came to you?"

"I don't know. I only know my feelings, and they haven't told me everything. I am a girl of faith and people of faith are always called upon to exhibit their faith. Now is my time, Lowell. this is my exhibition of faith."

"I'm going to wait with you then. So I can see what these feelings are all about," he says. She sighs. They sit and are silent for a while, then speak, then are silent again. All the while the sun does not change its position in the sky. Lowell pretends not to notice.

"I think you have to leave," she says eventually. "The sun hasn't moved at all. The night must be to stubborn to come while you remain here."

"How can I leave? You don't even know what is going to happen!" Lowell argues.

"We have to have faith. Did I not just tell you? That is what it takes."

"You have to understand that I want you here! That I want to help you."

"You can't help me, Lowell. It's going to happen. You can only decide how long I will have to wait."

"If it can't be changed then I suppose I must." They both stand. She puts a gentle hand on his chest and her eyes focus just over his shoulder.

"Thank you for teaching me about you. I think you are the reason I came here."

Lowell chews his bottom lip.

"You're welcome," he says.

They remain standing face to face. She leaves her hand on his chest, allowing him to be the one to sever the touch, to walk away. Finally he gathers the courgae to take a step back and his feet take over from there. They pick themselves up, one in front of the other. He begins moving faster without looking back. She's in his mind's eye: standing behind, watching him go. He shakes the image from his head and sprints across the golden field that borders her wood.

There is a silent outburst of white light. It comes up behind and sweeps over and beyond Lowell. He stops in his tracks and closes his eyes tightly. When he opens them they brim with tears. He continues through the high grass, letting his fingers brush lightly over the soft tops.

He breathes in, he breathes out.


Lydia





No comments:

Post a Comment