Monday, August 8, 2011

What is it about the ocean?
There's just something about the ocean that makes me want it, that stirs me up. I find myself drawn to it, daydreaming about it. When I step out near it, my emotional turbulence level immediately jerks upward. I feel like crying, and like laughing, but somehow, I also feel completely calm.
As I walked on the hard sand earlier tonight, the ocean's tide coming and going, it's breeze washing over me, I felt like a goddess...and a child. How is it that the ocean is so big, so truly mesmerizing, and yet so contradictory?
There was a sensation as though the oceans' hands were on me, running its' fingers through my hair, tracing the lines of my body. Just so, it played with my hair, pulled me here and there, as though I was its' child, and it wanted me to follow the same path it had chosen.
The ocean is so big that it houses its' own species: so beautiful that people drive for days to catch a glimpse, and so magnificent that an entire subculture is based around its' unique patterns and habits.
When I walk next to the ocean, I walk next to something frightening, something beautiful, something tremendous. It sings the world to sleep. It carasses the skin of children everywhere. The mountains, and valleys are impressive no doubt, but to me, the sea is the crowning glory of our galaxy. The moon shines over the entire ocean, highlighting the white caps. The sound of waves tumbling to shore lulls the people to sleep as we lay down, and embrace our natural rhythm.
At the end of the day, I followed the tide, and walked slowly beside my lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment