Thursday, February 11, 2010

To Save a Life

What does that mean? Or how about-What does it mean to you?

Last night I went and saw the movie (To Save a Life) and while I don't think it's appropriate for a young young kid, I loved it. I learned from it, and I felt the pain that a couple of the characters go through.

The movie addresses one overarching problem (with other issues thrown in): "Am I so unwanted, so insignificant, that if I were to rid the world of myself, would anyone care...or really, would anyone even notice? Does anyone love me enough to care if I'm gone?"

This movie hurt. It hurt to watch. It hurt so much because I know that it is so real, so signifiant in the lives across this Earth. People feel unloved...they feel worthless and while suicide solves nothing it is so common today because that is all some people feel they can do. I have hurt...and I have hurt tremendously. I have seen hurt. But never have I experienced or seen the kind of hurt that would ever drive someone to taking their own life.

What hurts me the most is knowing that quite often we could do something to help that person, to show them they are loved, to show them they have worth, and to help them realize their life matters. I can tell you that from my own experience in the past that simply loving on someone is the best thing a person can get. When I am so upset, so down, having someone who even just barely knows me asks me how I am, even smiles at me-that means the world to me. If it means that much to me, imagine how it must make someone dealing with thoughts of suicide feel. It may seem insignificant but it really could be what someone needs.

Why is it that even as a Christian, someone who is commanded to love - can't even love what society considers the losers or the unloveables? I know I can never love someone exactly like Christ loves me or the fellow sinner...but I can try. I can love that person as best as I can. Even when that person is someone who I don't really care for, I should still love them even though it is difficult for me.

I just pray that the people who are hard for me to love, the people who are often overlooked, would become loved by me. I pray that I can overcome this pride in my heart to love those considered "beneath" me.

Brianna

1 comment:

  1. i just read every single post. i hope you're proud of me because they were long and the print is very small.
    Noogs

    ReplyDelete